Photo Blog Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Friday, December 16, 2005

The Velvet Fog Does Christmas

I find it very ironic that many of the best known Christmas carols of American origin were written by Jews. Anyone who knows blogger can tell you that this is in no way a negative commentary as many of his best friends are Jews and depending on the time and place, he claims to be one. It is simply a point of comic irony, as Jews don't celebrate Christmas, and killed Jesus.
Here are some of my favourite Christmas songs, written by some of my favourite Jews:

* "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin
* "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" by Johnny Marks
* "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne
* "Silver Bells" by Livingston and Evans
* "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) by Mel Torme

What does this all mean? I have no idea, as I can never remember a time when Christmas had any religious meaning to me, other than facilitating my capitalist worship of toy consumption. But I'm pretty sure Jesus is somewhere shaking his head in disappointment, most likely Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home